Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Visit To Oncology


It is October and I'm sure you have noticed pink showing up everywhere. It is Breast Cancer Awareness month and the perfect time for me to have my four year anniversary check-up for breast cancer. After having my blood work done locally, Jeff and I headed back to Iowa for my appointment with Dr. Otteman. We love my doctor, clinic, and hospital in Ames and have decided that as long as I remain healthy and we have family living in Iowa, we will continue to make the trip for check-ups periodically.

Any how, my appointment went well and the doctor saw nothing to be concerned about with the mammogram results, lab work or my exam. We were pleased to find that my ferritin levels (this is stored iron in the body) are continuing to rise. After 3 1/2 years of taking iron pills, my level is about half way to where the doctor would like to see it (he thought it would take 6 months to a year). I also got a flu shot while there. Not the most exciting thing, but since I work with 20 nose-picking, cough-without-covering, sneeze-in-my-face, oops-I-forgot-to-wash-my-hands-after-using-the-toilet preschool kids... (Well, you get the idea.)

I will go back for another appointment in April and then again next October. The really exciting news for me is that once I reach 5 years after my particular diagnoses, my chances of recurrence will be the same as any other woman. God has been so good to me. Not only did I have great medical care, but a wonderful and patient husband who cared for me through my treatments and years of re-adjusting to a new normal. My boys have been supportive and I have my own personal prayer team in my family and friends. God has truly blessed me!

No comments: